Computational Biologist I and II
Compensation: $89,070.00 - $157,310.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Scientific Research
Loading some great jobs for you...
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we're not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we're driving excellence and improving outcomes. For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker's Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor's Employees' Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We're treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
* Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
* A good decision-maker, with shown success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
* Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
* Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
* Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational needs
* Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
* An effective communicator, capable of resolving how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
* Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
* Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
* Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situations
To be considered for a Computational Biologist II, you need:
* Masters of Science in cancer biology, genetics, computational biology, or a related discipline.
* At least three years of experience in academic or corporate research.
* Outstanding academic record.
* Strong computational and programming skills, including thorough experience with the following: UNIX environment, next-generation sequencing analysis packages (e.g., Samtools, GATK), advanced programming skills, statistical packages.
* Knowledge of bioinformatics concepts, methods, and tools.
* Familiarity with genomic data, tools, and databases.
* Ability to solve complex problems individually and as part of a team.
* Strong organizational and troubleshooting abilities, attention to detail and accuracy, and outstanding oral and written English communication skills.
To be considered for a Sr. Computational Biologist, you need:
* Master's, Ph.D., or equivalent in biological science, mathematics, physics, bioinformatics or related discipline with strong quantitative background. Proficiency with scientific computing software (Matlab, R) and scripting languages is required.
* Solid programming skills and extensive research experience in the biological sciences. A thorough understanding and experience in statistics is strongly preferred.
* Research experience in statistical genetics/genomics strongly preferred and a familiarity with next-generation sequence data and analysis tools is a plus.
* Able to work independently and collaboratively; making necessary connections with experts in various biological and clinical groups.
* Excellent oral and written English communication skills; experience in delivering oral scientific presentations and writing scientific articles strongly preferred.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...